.... My talk at Plumstead Road Library was very well received.
I've been invited back in October to give a talk on a different subject.
Thank you to all involved.
The following speaker bio is very complimentary & I thank the writer for the composition:-
"The Plumstead Road Library Friends have a real treat in store for you this month. They are delighted to announce that globetrotter Malcolm Metcalf, fresh from receiving his British Empire Medal from the King for his services to fundraising, will be talking to us all about his ‘90 Things to do Before I’m 90’ fundraising challenge for Priscilla Bacon Hospice Charity. This man really has been there and done it. And even now at 92, he’s still doing more challenges to raise money! To hear Malcolm tell us all about his adventures, and how you can take on challenges at any age, the place to be at 2pm on Wednesday, 29th of July, is the Plumstead Road Library.
Adventure and new horizons have always been in Malcolm’s blood. Back in 1939, he left his family home as an evacuee during WW2. Then at 19 years of age, he became bed-bound with tuberculosis of the spine for more than a year. Every day, Malcolm would read a world travel book he had been gifted by his brother. He vowed that when he got better, there was no holding him back and he would travel the world. And that’s exactly what he did! So much so that he now goes by the nickname of ‘The Michael Palin of Gorleston’.
From travelling to Australia with only £250, to going the length and breadth of England in only one month with just his bus pass when he was 82, Malcolm is always up for a challenge. One of his most recent challenges was set by Priscilla Bacon Hospice to do 90 things before his 90th birthday. Malcolm revealed, “I gave it some thought. My godson said I’d never do it, and that was all I needed. I needed someone to say I couldn’t do it! There was no stopping me!” His challenges included flying a plane, editing the EDP, taking a ride in a Formula 1 car, and many, many more!
To find out how he got on with his fundraising mission, and to learn about his latest challenge: 93 things to do before he’s 93, the only place to be at 2pm on Wednesday, 29th of July, is the Plumstead Road Library. You only have to spend a few seconds with Malcolm to realise that he is one of a kind. He is a natural storyteller with such a big heart. Nobody tells Malcolm that he can’t do something! He really is an inspiration, and we can’t wait to learn more about his adventurous life.
No need to book. Just turn up and enjoy. There's even a bus stop directly outside the library. And that's exactly how Malcolm will be arriving... with his much-used bus pass!
See you there." 😍